Monday, May 15, 2017

Audiobook Review: Fragments


Title: Fragments
Author: Dan Wells
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Release Date: February 26, 2013
Author Dan Wells is back with the sequel to the sci-fi blockbuster Partials, which Pittacus Lore called a "thrilling sci-fi adrenaline rush, with one of the most compelling and frightening visions of Earth's future I've seen yet."


After discovering the cure for RM, Kira Walker sets off on a terrifying journey into the ruins of postapocalyptic America and the darkest desires of her heart in order to uncover the means—and a reason—for humanity's survival.

Dan Wells extends his richly imagined, gritty world and introduces new memorable characters in this second installment in the Partials Sequence.



I'm surprised. I thought I had reviewed Partials, the first of the series. But I come to find out I never actually wrote the review. So to recap, I actually hated that book. I had so many issues with Kira and her decisions. They just didn't make much sense to me. She acted really stupid for someone brought up in a dystopian society.

Of course, by the end of the book she had gone through some personal growth, which was good. Because all those stupid decisions weren't an issue for me here. Of course in Fragments Kira makes some dumb decisions. But she doesn't start yelling at people holding a gun to her head calling them arrogant. I guess she learned her lesson on that one.

So as you might have guessed, I really enjoyed the second book much more than the first, mainly because the main character had gone through a lot of character development, making her more tolerable to me. Also a plus was the multiple pov. While most of the book was through Kira's perspective, probably about 30% was told through Marcus. And then there were the occasional Samm and Ariel spots here and there, which were really interesting to read. Especially the Samm ones.

We hadn't really been inside the head of a partial before, so seeing how Samm thinks is kind of fascinating. How he can't figure out how to communicate even when he has things he wants to express.

So Samm, Kira, and Heron set out to find a cure for RM and the Partial expiration date. It's a race to find the Trust and Paragen, but nothing goes according to plan. They end up on a journey halfway across the country. But who can Kira trust? She thinks she can trust Samm, but she's not so sure about Heron. 

Samm and Kira grow closer, which is cool because I think they belong together.

Then we have Marcus. Okay, I like Marcus. He's a good guy. He comes up with these ideas and plans and volunteers for dangerous missions. All in the name of helping everyone. But something bothered me. He and Kira just don't seem to have chemistry together. Maybe I just don't see it? I don't know. But I just don't see them together. Still, with whatever happens in the next book, I want to see him get a happily ever after. He deserves one. I just don't think he and Kira are right for each other.

Overall
I really liked the second book, and I'm anxious to see how the series ends. If you didn't like the first book due to characterization, give the second one a try and see if it doesn't get better for you.

Characters: 4 stars
Plot: 5 stars
Writing: 5 stars
World: 3 stars
Feels: 3 stars

4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment